Ely, MN Base

The following is a list of required paperwork, a selection of optional trip choices, and a wide variety of useful information. Please read very carefully.

Step 1: Financial Planning

Step 2: Park Selection, Permitting, and Border Crossing

Step 3: Canoe Rentals

Standard outfitting at Northern Tier includes Kevlar canoes (less than 50 pounds). For a discount of $30 per canoe per day, Aluminum canoes (75 pounds) can be rented.

  • Lite-Weight Canoe reservations are handled through the online registration system.
    View your confirmation email for details or contact Northern Tier directly. info@ntier.org or 218.365.4811

Step 4: Preparing for Northern Tier

Step 5: Required Documents:

The following documents must be absolutely complete upon arrival on base:

  • Health and Medical Record – Every participant must have an up-to-date "Health and Medical Record." They must meet all health restrictions to be permitted to go on trail.
  • Swim Classification Form – Leaders and participants must complete a swim test prior to arrival at a Northern Tier base. Each leader and participant must be rated a "Swimmer" using the BSA swim text.
  • Crew Roster – Should be submitted prior to arrival
  • Wilderness First-Aid Training – At least one adult advisor must have proof (completion certificate) of BSA approved Wilderness First Aid training. Minimum WFA course length is 16-hours.
  • CPR Training – At least one adult advisor must have proof (completion certificate) of CPR Training
  • BSA E-certifications – At least one adult advisor must have proof of training (completion certificates) in each of the following BSA e-certifications: Weather Hazards, Safety Afloat, and Safe Swim Defense.All Adult Advisors must have proof of training in Youth Protection.
  • Fishing Licenses – If your crew wants to fish you will need to purchase the appropriate license.
    • Northern Tier recommends that all Fishing Licenses be purchased online in advance of your trip. If youth under the age of 16 (for fishing in Minnesota) or under the age of 18 (for fishing in Ontario) would like to fish, they can fish under the license of a single adult. However, their catch will be restricted to this adult’s limit.
    • MINNESOTA FISHING LICENSES- All individuals, 16 years of age and older need to obtain a license to fish in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW), licenses can be purchased in advanced over the phone by calling 1-888-665-4236, or online. For current pricing and license information visit http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/fishing/index.html?type=fishing.
      NOTE: A social Security number is required to obtain a Minnesota Fishing License.
    • Ontario Licenses- 18 years of age and older are required to have an Ontario fishing license. Scouts under the age of 18 can fish under a licensed adult. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165323.html
  • Step 6: Trip Planning Resources:




About Northern Tier

Come to Northern Tier for a whole new level of adventure, up north! From incredible canoe journeys to wild winter wilderness camping, Northern Tier promises the Scouting adventure of a lifetime in the Great North Woods of northern Minnesota and Canada.